Thursday, January 7, 2010

Let me introduce my terminally ill self to you


I started woodworking just recently. Just a little over three years ago I started building bird houses from scrap wood. Coincidentally at that time My ocular melanoma that had cost me my left eye came back in my liver and armpit. At the time I was living a in trailer park in Atwater CA (Aluminum Heights). My neighbors would come by and ask what I was doing and tell me how great I was. One day I was standing there doing some sanding and I decided to build a bench. I built a two foot by one foot bench and was standing looking and admiring it when my neighbor came by and said "it needs a back". I replied "I wonder how I would put a back on it", since he was actually describing a chair.
Well I kept building bird houses, bird feeders, and planters until I had thought it out. Then I built a kids chair. Then I saled it up and built an adult chair. It turns out most chairs lean the back at a ten to fifteen degree angle away from the seat. If you do that and do not kick the back legs back you wind up with a very tippy chair. Well it took some thought to figure it out, but I did and built the chair. It turns out the secret of the chair is one of the secrets of life. Most chairs use one piece of wood for the back and back leg. That requires bending the wood. I guarantee that bending the wood that you found or was given to you is a sure recipe for frustration. Instead of asking the wood to do something it cannot do, use it the best way you can and within its limits and it will suit your needs. That is life and how it comes at you and the secret of how to enjoy and succeed at life.

No comments:

Post a Comment